Monday, April 28, 2014

Gilgamesh: The Epic (B)Romance

Source
Recently I had the pleasure of conversing with a man of great power, Gilgamesh of Uruk. He was very eager to show me the great walls of his city, praising the kingdom for its greatness. After he treated me to a few glasses of the finest wine I was presented with an interesting opportunity; he revealed to me the contents of his strange dream. Ninsun, who was also present at this gathering, explained that this prophesied the forthcoming of another warrior who will be an equal as well as a challenge for Gilgamesh. Intrigued by this relationship and convinced that the dream could be analyzed further to reveal much more than fairy tales, I convinced the ruler of Uruk to engage in a deeper conversation.

My subject described the manifest content of his dream in just a few lines; a meteorite fell from the sky which he embraced and his people worshiped. Although his mother (Ninsun) was able to reveal some latent content she did not see into it that these few sentences show a tremendous emotional attachment of the subject and the object in the dream. Although heavily condensed, the dream can be extrapolated to reveal much more than a simple story.


Source
A meteorite falling from the sky will likely assume a spherical shape (it is true, google it: source). This can also be viewed as a circular object, a symbol that appears time and time again as a symbol for the female reproductive organ, or the vagina; this is a sign of Gilgamesh longing for affection, love, and partnership. Naturally, my subject rejected the possibility of longing for another man; however, this can be shown in greater detail by exploiting the dream further.


Source
The dream continues to show that the subject embraces and meteorite which clearly represents the sacred marriage of the masculine and feminine parts; the powerful, tall Gilgamesh is the phallic and the meteorite the yonic part. My subject then mentions that he physically set the meteorite in front of his mother who made is his equal. This signifies the parental confirmation of a future partner. Naturally, as with any royalty, the people of Uruk rejoice, celebrate, and worship this development. This is very similar to a modern-day marriage with the people surrounding the celebration. As you can imagine my deductions were met with an adverse reaction from the subject.
 

Original Source
Through this elaborate analysis of the dream I hope it is clear now that what seemed to be simple story, actually reveals much more of the true emotional attachment Gilgamesh has with his future brother-in-arms. To say the least, Gilgamesh was not willing to accept this interpretation and I got the feeling that my knowledge is only slightly further reaching than that of my subject. I will leave for him to figure out the relationship he is about to develop.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment