Friday, April 25, 2014

Hamlet, the Prince of Insanity and Incest

Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, is quite a piece of work. After his father was killed, his mother, Queen Gertrude, became increasingly concerned about her son and his mental state of mind. That is where I come into the picture. The Queen hired me to secretly follow Hamlet and observe his actions and what he says. Everything was fairly normal as I conspicuously hid in the background of every second of his life. That is until one day, when Hamlet thought he was alone, he made a curious mistake...

Hamlet made a fatal slip of the tongue or as I call it, a Freudian Slip, named after yours truly. He stated while talking to himself alone (or so he thought), and I quote, “But two months dead-- nay, not so much, not two” (Shakespeare 1.2.142). King Hamlet had only been deceased for one month at this point in time and Hamlet very well knows that, so why would he have said two at first? 

My theories are as follows- his unconscious mind took over his conscious mind for just a second when he said the word two. This could be because Hamlet has an unhealthy attachment to his mother, and he became especially attached in the last month that his father was alive. This attachment not only is apparent in their maternal mother son relationship, but 
Can you feel the sexual tension???
also in an unhealthy and sexual relationship as well. In his mind once he started becoming fonder of his mother, his father had already died, and was dead in his mind for a month more that what is true reality. 
My other theory is similar to my first because I still feel that Hamlet’s unconscious mind interrupted his conscious thought, but I also think that Hamlet’s unconscious mind is just completely idiotic and is not at all prone to remembering details. I still cannot believe that Hamlet would ever be so stupid as to forget how long it has been since his father passed away. I will be further observing the prince to figure out which theory is actually true, but truthfully I am leaning towards the second one, because honestly, who does that??? 



No comments:

Post a Comment