Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ophelia- Hamlet on Steroids

     In my time spent observing Hamlet, I have also inadvertently been observing a woman named Ophelia as well. Ophelia is Polonius's, the Lord Chamberlain of King Claudius's court, daughter, and secretly Hamlets lover. Polonius thinks that Hamlet is no good for Ophelia, so he forbids her from talking to Hamlet at all, and she agrees. But she does not stay away from him completely. Days later, Hamlet was yelling at Ophelia saying she must, "Get thee to a nunnery" (Shakespeare 3.1.131). 

You can see the crazy in her eyes!!!
     Ever since that happened, Ophelia has been acting all sorts of crazy. Shes been singing little nonsense songs to herself, and just yesterday I saw her climbing in some trees above a river, like some sort of money creature! I surely hope that she does not harm herself, as I have not had the opportunity to really explore the deep layers of her mind and figure out exactly what is making her act like a complete lunatic! The only diagnosis I can currently state is that she has just gone bat-crazy! I will update with more information as my observations continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment